Friday, June 13, 2008

PPBC#3 I've Turned Into My Mother!

I think I grew up ok and I have my parents to thank for that. So having said that, I feel that I will raise my little girl in the same way that I was brought up.

I think that attachment parenting became popular only now, at the least the term "attachment parenting." But my mom practiced that with me as I was growing up. I remember hearing a comment from my paternal grandmother one time that I was too clingy to my mom. Well, of course! She's my mother. And I don't see any harm done. And that's what I'm practicing with my little girl now.

My mom studied child pyschology in college. I don't know what hocus pocus they taught in Maryknoll but even if my mom wasn't strict with me, I learned to obey her. And although she is the cool type of mom, the respect has always been there. We are friends, but the fact that she's my mother isn't lost on me.

My dad is another matter. I suppose their parenting styles balanced each other out. My dad was the disciplinarian. But I know now where my dad was coming from. My dad was such a problematic child when he was growing up. He did all sorts of pranks and the priests in his school just gave up on him. hahaha! But he turned out well. He's a lawyer now and a successful one at that. Since he was so pilyo growing up, he knew every trick and prank you could think of. Because of that, I dared not go against his will. What possible excuse could I give him that he hadn't thought of too when he was younger?

I really can't think of anything that I would change. Being a mother now, I realize that all those constant reminders and lectures were just their way of showing their love. After all, they wanted only the best for me. Even those times when I started going on gimmiks, dates and even until I was engaged, I had a curfew. Most of the time, it was too embarrassing to tell friends that I had to be home by 12, 1:00 am at the latest. Well, you'll understand too, since I'm an only child and a girl at that. But am I going to change that when the time comes that my daughter starts going out? Not at all! I might even be stricter especially since times are so different now.

The values taught to me as a child, as well as my upbringing will be passed on to my little girl. I'm just grateful that the hubby and I have the same values and we were pretty much brought up the same way.

2 comments:

theworkingmom said...

PPBC 3 is up! Click here to view the roundup! Thank you so much for joining. Do join us again in PPBC 4 -- call for articles is here.

Angel said...

Nice entry. You're right, children are different nowadays so we have to be more strict to them.

However, as I have mentioned in my entry I will also maintain good communication with my children.

Thanks.