Monday, May 12, 2008

'Tis The Time to be Prudent

Times are hard. Rice and gasoline prices are skyrocketing. Most grocery items have increased in prices as well.

I have to remind myself to be prudent and frugal. Admittedly, I like to shop. But since I gave birth, my shopping priorities have changed. Only now, it's more for the little girl. Still, the fact remains that I like to shop.

It's the masses who are greatly affected by the economic crunch. They are the ones who feel it first. I live with helpers and drivers. One of my parents' drivers has to look for a new place to live in because his current home will be demolished soon. I feel bad about that, after all, he is such a good guy.

I feel guilty when I'm at the grocery and the driver waits for my bags. He can see how much I spend for groceries. I feel guilty that when I'm driven to the mall, I come out laden with bags. What I spend at the mall can pay for his kids' education. I don't like shopping with the yaya in tow (that is, when Tina is with us at the mall). Even if I don't buy anything, she can see how much I pay for a top just by looking at the tags of clothes from the stores we go into.

I'm not saying I'm going to deprive myself, but it is wise to curb my spending habits now and save for a rainy day. Neither am I saying that I spend an arm and a leg for a top, shoes or a bag. It's just not morally prudent to spend right and left when many people are worried where they will get money for their next meal. I can't save the world, but I can be sensitive to peoples' needs.

Not getting that hot new top is not gonna kill me. No one will judge me if I haven't got that new designer bag on my arm.

1 comment:

flowerdrumsong said...

Very well put, Pat! :)